The setting up was as quick as I hoped; straight out of the carry bag, unfurl the arms, fire up the remote control and connect my mobile phone and then it was ready to fly. Perfect. Rio did his usual barking as it took off but soon quietened down once it was airborne.
And then I got the first inkling of a problem; a visual sensing error on the RC and red lights flashing from the drone. Hmm better land it and give it a re-calibration. After bringing ‘Mavis’ back to the ground (yes, I called it Mavis the Mavic after Tina’s mum) I tried and failed to re-calibrate the VPS, following the instructions on my iPhone screen. This required moving the drone in square movements, pointing the sensors downwards in order to reset the internal gubbins. But to no avail and after thirty minutes of trying I gave up and headed back home to calibrate the drone using the DJI Assistant app instead.
With the aircraft all nicely re-calibrated, the next morning I took it out for another attempt and this time experienced a different problem; and one that was probably more serious than the first. After taking off the drone started to hover then gain altitude despite not touching the RC controls. Hmm that wasn’t right. And then of more concern I started getting a message on the iPhone stating ‘Landing’ and despite trying to cancel the decent it proceeded to land in a field adjacent to the path Rio and I were on.
Bloody hell, it looks like I had been sent a duff drone. Bugger!
After lots of Googling and checking the DJI Forum site I came to the conclusion that it was the vision sensors that were causing the problem and after posting the problem on the official DJI site and uploading the flight records, the support team seemed to come to the same conclusion and issue an RMA number for it’s return to their repair centre in the Netherlands.
So after a eight week delivery wait, a week of waiting for the weather to improve and two days flying I packed up Mavis and off she went to be fixed. Today I heard she had arrived and being assessed for signs of damage before confirming the next steps in the repair process.
I am hopeful they will fix her soon and she’ll be back before Xmas as I was intending to make use of the time off work over Christmas for some flying. If not it looks like I’ll reverting back to my old drone, which I kept as a back up for just this type of occasion but didn’t think it would be this soon!