It was around this time last year that I had the notion that I wanted a proper woodworking workshop, with all the fancy machines I’d ever dreamed of owning but never could afford. So when I got wind of a favourable bonus coming my way I got to work on planning how I would spend a sizeable chunk of it.
Firstly I had to address problem of creating the space; the garage had accumulated so much crap over the years there was very little room to walk around it let alone site a new table saw or router table. The rafters were full of boxes containing kids school books, toys and loads of old training manuals and paperwork from work and the floor had garden furniture, a cross trainer and a bicycle taking up vital workshop space.
Having decided there was far too much to take to the local recycling depot, I ordered a 6 yard skip, confident it would be big enough to cover all my needs. Yeah right!
Eventually though I did manage to reduce the pile of things to keep and set about storing the many boxes back up in roof space above the garage. A quick paint job of the floor gave me a lovely canvas and space to start filling with some machines. Phase 1 completed.
Next job was to tackle the garage doors. The existing doors were the up and over type but over the years had become more and more difficult to use. In fact the right hand one couldn’t be opened due to a fault spring so had to be screwed shut. So the first big spend was to replace them with two roller shutter doors.
I found a local company that could change them out at a reasonable cost and soon had new doors.
And so to start filling the space. I’d researched some of the machines I’d want; I’d always fancied a proper table saw and so went for a 8″ cast-iron model from Charnwood along with a sanding station and dust extraction system from the same manufacturer. This was then followed up by a Lumberjack bandsaw supplied by Amazon and a router table. It wasn’t long before the garage floor space was starting to fill up again, but this time with lots of new toys to play with 🙂
Another part of the workshop build was to create a wall that could be used to hold all my hand and power tools so I set about erecting a french cleat system, using my new machines to rip down the timber and sheets to the right size. I then built an outfeed table for the new saw, which gave me storage to keep other tools. Phase 2 complete.
My next post will continue to run through the evolution of the workshop along with highlighting some of the projects I have undertaken so far.