Making Stuff Part 7

9FDE377F-98C5-45F3-9DB6-F0E131B0E1D0_1_105_cHaving started my CNC journey in such a positive manner, it nearly all went up in flames…literally!

7CDE102E-C670-4749-8DA2-0C9301547E6E_1_105_cI’d continued to machine some of the designs I’d created in VCarve, inspired by ideas I’d seen in Pinterest and other online sites. As an avid Watford fan I had taken an image of the club badge and imported into the design programme, converted it to vectors and worked out the tool-paths needed to create a 2.5D version of the badge. I then set the machine up to create the model using a scrap piece of MDF, securing the wood down using masking tape and super glue (an idea I’d seen on YouTube).

Considering this was one of the first jobs completed in MDF, I was pleased with the outcome and spurred me on to produce more things. 4706B9E2-D1D8-43A5-A90D-891EB5D14EFF_1_105_c

Another one of the Pinterest ideas I’d seen was a wooden clock with the numbers cut out so I thought I’d give it a go. I used VCarve to outline the design and found a bit of pine which was an ideal size for the job. Again, I set up the tool-paths and sent the instructions to the machine. CF906E97-E64E-4B19-B2B1-9110A049033C_1_105_cI will admit that watching the CNC follow the paths is mesmerising as it slowly reveals the piece you’ve created. I also added some VCarve text to the centre and amazingly I had a completed clock.

I’d purchased a cheap quartz clock from Ebay and soon had a working timepiece hanging from my garage wall.

 

0C39D8C5-4994-4B7D-84D3-341E42A31342_1_105_cBuoyed on from the successes I’d had so far, I decided to try making a newer version of the joined hearts, using a slightly thicker piece of oak. I had changed the design in VCarve to improve the shape and make the base more sturdy. Again, I secured the timber on the board using my tape and superglue trick and set the machine going.

And then disaster struck.

569E0BE3-C5D5-48F3-A435-1D47A3AE10F0_1_105_c As the router began it’s second tool-path run, it suddenly veered off in the wrong direction, slicing through part of the work piece. I stopped the machine and took the wood off the spoil board.

I then ran the file again, without the wood, trying to understand what had gone wrong. This time the machine went haywire, with the router plunging straight into the spoil board. I sent the machine back to home but forgot to switch off the router and it cut a channel the length of the board below and then proceeded to start drilling into the MDF beneath, causing a small amount of smoke. I cut the power to the router, hit the emergency button, which switches off the power to the duet board and killed all processes running.

I then went about testing the safety switches, which should have prevented this incident from occurring and found that one of the wires to the Z Axis arm had been severed by the wheels. This meant the CNC couldn’t detect when the router had reached the bottom of it’s reach and tried to drill through the spoil board and, if I’d not stopped it, my bench too!

I soon repaired the wire, enclosing it in piece of sheathing for added protection and retested the switch, making sure it stopped the arm when it was closed. CB5F309B-7312-4EC4-A46C-BEB2D14FDF73_1_105_cDisaster averted.

Next, was to try the machine out in cutting acrylic (perspex) having bought a sheet of A3 from Ebay for £6. Again, I wanted to have a go at making a clock as I’d seen a great design on Pinterest and thought I could reproduce it in plastic. The router bits I’d bought from Oooznest were idea for cutting acrylic and make quick work of the design I’d created in VCarve Desktop.

56ECDE98-A980-4625-A16D-DF1D87ED4276_1_105_cI used another of the quartz clocks I’d bought from Ebay and presented it to Tina, as she’d said she needed one in her sewing room. I was pleased with the look, although next time I may try to add an LED to back light the numbers, to help them stand out a bit.

So I was really now progressing my designs into reality and getting pleasing results so I decided to get a bit more ambitious and create a crib board for my dad’s birthday, taking the idea from the Vectric website.

More of this on my next update.

2 thoughts on “Making Stuff Part 7

  1. Well done on finding the fault!

    I’m really enjoying seeing some of the stuff you are making.
    I want one of those machines!

    Unfortunately, I don’t have the space.
    Or the money.
    Or the time.
    🙁

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.